You can write off all or part of the outstanding receivable on a claim. This indicates that you will not be receiving that payment amount from the carrier or patient.
To write off all or part of the outstanding receivable on a claim:
- Open the Claim Detail window for a claim.
For more information, go to Viewing and Editing Claim Detail.
- Perform one of the following actions:
- To write off the total outstanding receivable for the entire claim, click Write Off.
- To write off the outstanding receivable for a line item on the claim, select Write Off from the Action drop-down list in the row of the line item you want to write off.
- If you are writing off a line item, enter the amount of the write off in the Amount text box.If you are writing off the entire claim, do not change the amount in the Amount text box. The entire outstanding receivable on the claim will always be written off.
- From the Write Off Reason drop-down list, select a write-off reason.
- In the Please enter a reason below text box, enter notes about the write-off.
- Click Save.
The outstanding receivable is written off.
If you wrote off the entire claim, the status of the claim and all line items on the claim (except those that were marked as NonReceivable) is Written Off.